Saturday, June 15, 2019

News blog going on hiatus

Dear Neighbors,

In 2014, there was a clear need for better communication in the Esplanade. All HOA board meetings were held in private - only the yearly membership meetings were public. There were no means for contacting the board. There were no notices in the elevators. No mass emails sent out to residents. No Pilera. There was an occasional newsletter from the development company and a resident Facebook group, but in my view those efforts did not fill the need for clear communication to all residents.

At that time, I started this news blog. I have a background in journalism and I thought it would be useful to have a clearinghouse not just for HOA news and documents, but also resident polls, restaurant reviews, neighborhood photos, etc.

Five years and almost 450 blog posts later, it may be that this forum has run its course. There are other outlets for news and information now, and attendance at board meetings has become more robust than it was in past years.

I realize that many different residents have many different perspectives on the management of our building. Some residents believe that the board members and management personnel are working hard, and doing the best they can. Some residents are in a constant state of outrage about... well, everything. Many are somewhere in between those polar opposites. Some believe that our building is a great place to live, and recognize that it requires continued maintenance projects, not all of which go as smoothly and quickly as we all would like. Some residents can't wait to sell and get out.

In trying to serve all of those varied perspectives, I've tried to be accurate, fair, informative and occasionally fun. Many people have expressed their appreciation for these efforts, and some have been very clear in letting me know that they don't like me, or the blog.

My plan is to take a couple months off from this blog and see how it goes; I don't think the building will fall down in the meantime. I will leave the blog and the website as they are and not take them down, as there may be some useful information there still. 

I wish you all well,

-Dan

6 comments:

  1. Dan, thank you for your efforts and informative posts.
    I understand you wanting a break from the divisive drama that currently impacts Esplanade owners. Your posts, however, presented a neutral journalistic position and IMHO perpetuated unity by putting a spotlight on all the benefits we enjoy while living at the Esplanade. I hope you'll consider returning to posting after taking a well-deserved break.
    Scott Ahlsmith
    Unit 518

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, thank you for your efforts on the blog. As I've said before I think your reporting is fair, accurate and neutral. Take your time off and enjoy. I hope after some thought that you'll continue to provide this communication. I know it is hard when you receive negative feedback from people constantly. Unfortunately, those are the one's that you hear the most because they're the most vocal. Know that MANY others truly appreciate the efforts of the blog the past 5 years. It is impossible to make everyone happy; that's human nature. Thanks again.

    Kurt Kwon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. recent post by ofwakomagazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job here on _______ I read a lot of blog posts, but I never heard a topic like this. I Love this topic you made about the blogger's bucket list. Very resourceful. voiceofandhra

    ReplyDelete