Thursday, April 23, 2015

A few informational odds and ends

I have been sitting on a few unrelated, informational odds and ends for the past few days, none of which really seemed to warrant their own blog post. But rather than waiting until they are obsolete, I decided I'd better just throw these news bits out there for the bored and the curious:

  • First of all, I wanted to pass on a letter written by Katie Bohocky, who is the Executive Director of the Foss Waterway Owners' Association. (Please note that the FWOA is a separate entity from the FWDA.) Katie wrote this letter to the mayor and the city council concerning the trash situation under I-705, a subject that I have blogged about previously HERE. I thought the letter was very compelling; you can see it HERE.


  • I recently ran across this online audio series called "Destiny and Grit." It claims to be "An audio series exploring the highs & lows and whys & hows and hots & colds and streets & trails of Tacoma." Basically, it is an NPR-style audio series about Tacoma. I thought the latest episode, titled "Downtown," was quite interesting, as the narrator walks listeners through the Old City Hall building. The audio is accompanied by photos, so you can also see some of what she is describing. "Destiny and Grit" can be found HERE.


  • Someone put a postcard on our P1 bulletin board advertising "BikeroBrew Tacoma." I simply could not get past the name, and had to learn more. According to their website, "BikeroBrew" is a cycling tour of four local microbrews: Odd Otter, Pacific, Wingman, and Tacoma Brewery. They are currently offering two tours, on 5/16 and 5/30. For $45 you get up to 50 ounces of beer, narrated tours of the neighborhood and the breweries, and, I suppose, the company of other intoxicated cyclists. Learn more HERE.


  • One item from the HOA meeting summary that may have escaped some people's notice is that our spring window washing has been scheduled for May 18 - June 3. For those who are new to the building, window washing typically lasts several days, and you should expect to see workers hanging from ropes outside your windows at any time, without notice. The workers will clean all of your exterior windows (including the ones on your deck) in addition to the exterior of the deck's glass railing. Speaking of spring cleaning, a reminder that there is a list of condo care tips on this website's documents page. You can click HERE to see the list of tips.


  • Finally, in case you missed the article in the TNT, it seems that the downtown Tacoma McMenamins could be open by spring of 2017. (Editorial note: I'll believe it when I see it.) You can read the article HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great information. I particularly enjoyed "Destiny and Grit". As I jog/walk around Tacoma often, it makes my jog even more interesting. Definitely interested in BikeroBrew, too:-)!
    "Walk Tacoma 2015" is going on. I think notice is on the elevator board. I did Brewery Walk, and learned a lot something I did not know. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete